Wednesday, July 16, 2014

The City Pony by Roxy Katt

Genre:
Lesbian

Synopsis:
The City Pony is an erotic, comical, and unconventional pony girl story. Two women who work in an office building in Toronto (one an office worker native to Toronto, the other a maintenance worker from Alberta) keep meeting as if by chance and having odd, comical conversations. The subject, among other things, is horses, and this leads to a rather unusual outing involving a latex horse head.

Excerpt:
     Next day, I drop by her office. You know, to empty the garbage can and all.
     “Somebody sent me a note,” I say, “down to the maintenance office.”
     “Did they now?” She is looking down at her desk, busy writing something on a pad of paper.
     “It said, ‘Whinny, snort snort.’”
     “Must have been from some sort of animal.”
     “It also said ‘Moo’.”
     “And?” she asks.
     “Well, that would be two animals. Presumably, a horse and a cow.”
     “A very silly cow I should think.”
     “Why do you think so?”
     “I mean, just to say ‘moo.’ What does that mean? Can’t she say more than that? Can’t she be more specific?”
     “She’s only a cow, after all. I suspect she was just seconding the words of her more eloquent friend, the horse.”
     “It stands to reason. Or maybe it was just a horse speaking in cow.”
     “A bilingual horse,” I say. “A true Canadian animal. What’s this?” I point to a half open cardboard box on her desk.
     “A present for Justine. A new horse head. It’s made of lovely black latex don’t you know.”
     “What’s wrong with the old one?”
     “She doesn’t have an old one. Just her human head. She’s never worn a horse head before. She’s worn bits and bridles and blinders and plumes and collars but never a horse head.”
     “This should be a new experience for her.”
     “I’ll say. She hasn’t tried it on yet. She says she’s afraid it will be too excitingly animal like for her. Too, too degrading.”
     I brought to mind the photo she had given me. “You know, a lot of people, including a lot of feminists, would say Justine has gone so far down that road she might as well put the head on and call it a day.”

Author Interview:
What makes your book so different from all the books out there?
There's quite a bit of comedy and wit in this (if it's okay for me to say so!) It's not your standard 30 pages of two people getting together and banging away. I'm all about foreplay in my work, the sexy interaction of developed personalities, the hints of what may happen, etc.

For those who might consider reading your book, what would you tell them to expect?
Something very different. The characters here are certainly engaged with each other on a sexual level, but the sex is not all in bed. The pony girl angle is unconventional too, involving a kind of public humiliation in a way one MIGHT imagine as actually possible.

Favorite quote from your book?
“What were you wearing under that?”
“Why, long johns of course.”
“With the buttoned flap in the back?”
“What else?”
“Naughty naughty.”
“I don’t imagine you wear them in Toronto, but out West the flap is for strictly
practical purposes.”
“I’ll bet it is. Naughty!”
“In the outhouse, I mean.”
“Even naughtier!”

Where do you get your ides/inspiration for your writing?
Largely my own perverted imagination. I do think certain strange things I saw in cartoons warped me as a child. That may account in part for the kind of vaudevillean or slapstick nature of my work. There is something cartoonish about it.

Is there a genre you could never write? Which and why?
I don't think I could right a simple romance story. My characters might sometimes have romantic potential, but I don't think I could take this far enough to write a work about life-long romantic love in the classic sense.

What books have influenced your writing?
Virtually nothing in terms of erotica. The fact of the matter is, I'm a little too kinky for most work to arouse me. That's one reason I guess I ended up writing my own. A work might contain one or two of my kinks but still leave me flat. And most of it is so badly written with nonentities for characters. But in so far as I sometimes have a film noir sense of dialogue, you might say Raymond Chandler has influenced me. I read a lot, but can't say there is much connection to my own work except in very indirect ways.

Goals for future projects? 
I've published a number of stories in major anthologies, some in hardcopy and some as ebooks. I'm in the process of getting these works up on Smashwords (and eventually, Amazon) as single story books.

What was the process with getting the cover for your book? How do you like it?
I have mucked about with this quite a bit. It's really very much a bother. I simply will not pay $100+ or something for a ""professional"" who will give me a cover exactly like all the other ""professional"" covers out there. These people have artistic skill way beyond my own, but they are largely boring. I have gone to sites like I-Stock Photos and bought the rights to some images, and I have tried drawing some of my own cartoon like images, and I have now developed a kind of ""template"" book cover I think I will just repeat. I think I am very much a niche writer, and once I am better known people will come for the words, not the pictures. Time and money are too scarce for first rate erotic images on the cover. I spend my time on the writing. 

What is the hardest and easiest part about being an erotica writer?
The easiest part is when the dialogue (and I love writing dialogue best) comes swift and sexy into your mind and it's just like bang bang, bang, one good line after another and you're writing them down. The hard part is letting people know what your work is like. I am like those bands you hear about who have a hard time promoting themselves because even though they may be outstanding, they don't fit neatly into jazz, or hard rock, or bluegrass, or whatever. There are various kinds of kinks that go together that make up my work. I can only describe it as "Strange Humiliation," if that's any help. I need to find more kindred spirit pervs.

Do you have any advice for aspiring writers?
Take any advice a writer gives you with a bag of salt. Try it out if it sounds good, but just because it works for some writers doesn't mean it will work for you. You need to be very independent minded to be a writer, I think.

My Review:
The City Pony is all about foreplay and seduction. A girl from the city initiates a sexual encounter with a coworker from the country, and doesn't quite realize what she's getting herself into. Roxy does a great job of surprising the reader, much like our country girl surprises the city girl... but I have to say, the city girl was asking for it. I would have liked to see Roxy use more narration between her dialogue so that I could keep better track of who was talking and get a better idea of what the characters were thinking. However, her  bare-bones writing did a great job of representing the rugged side of the country girl. If you are looking for a quirky, unique erotic piece, then this is the one for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment