Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Spotlight: Color of Dreams by K.G. Stutts

Synopsis:
Detective Julie Carter has dreams she can't shake. When her most recent dream comes true - and her husband, Aiden, is killed - Julie must work with Scott Jordan, the man who broke her heart years ago, to investigate.

Secrets unravel as things start heating up again between Scott and Julie. But can Julie trust Scott again? Can they work together to find Aiden's killer before Julie's next dream comes true...her death?

Excerpt: 
I don’t have time for my usual work out, but I have to get the image of the dream out of my mind. I hope that a little time with the boxing gloves will do me some good. I notice two other women huddled tightly together as I am taping up my wrists.

“What’s up?” I walk over to them and ask.

“Him.” Ashley nods over to a man lifting weights.

I can’t stifle my groan. “Scott Jordan? Seriously?”

“Hey, don’t judge. You’re married, Julie. You may not have noticed, but Scott is a complete hottie,” Ashley says.

I roll my eyes. I’ve known Scott Jordan since we were rookies. He is one of the best looking men in the precinct. It’s a fact that he’s very much aware of. With his sandy blonde hair that tends to curl slightly when it gets long, his baby blue eyes, chiseled physique, and a lot of charm, he tends to command the attention of most of the women who work at the station. Lately he’s been wearing his hair short.

Sure, Scott was attractive, but he has proven to me that there isn’t much beneath his beautiful surface.

“Ladies, that is not a road worth traveling down,” I warn as I strap on the boxing gloves. I manage to hold back a ‘trust me’ but my tone doesn’t escape their notice.

“Ooh, that sounds like you are speaking from experience,” the other woman, Pauline, turns to me and says.

“I’m married to Aiden Sullivan, remember?” I point out, refusing to answer Pauline.

“That’s another good looking man.” Ashley sighs.

“You are so lucky, Julie.”

“Those soft brown eyes, dazzling smile, and that butt!” Ashley giggles.

“He’s so handsome. Aiden is a modern day Clark Gable,” Pauline dreamily says.

Both women look like they could melt. I grin at the compliments about Aiden.

“Thanks, ladies.”

I walk back over to the punching bag and start my work out.

“Hello, fine looking ladies,” I hear Scott greet.

Ashley and Pauline giggle. I can’t help but roll my eyes.

“Officers of the law, giggling like school girls,” I murmur under my breath.

“What was that, Carter?” Scott asks, turning his attention toward me.

“Don’t you have something better to do than to bother me?” I ask, punching the bag.

“Need a hand?” he asks.

“Sure. Why don’t you take the place of the bag?” I suggest.

“Ouch. You’re in a mood today,” Scott condescendingly says.

“If you ask me if it’s my time of the mouth or if I’ve run out of coffee, I really will punch you,” I warn.

“You hit like a girl.” Scott teases.

“You could, too, with a little more effort,” I bitterly respond, punching the bag harder.

“You are extra sharp today, Julie. And you’re taking it out on that poor Everlast. Something not right at home? Has Aiden not being living up to his husband duties?” His tone is patronizing, but there is a hint of seriousness behind his blue eyes.

“It’s been eleven years since that’s been a concern of yours,” I tell him in a low voice.

Scott’s face instantly changes at my tone. He murmurs something too low for me to hear, and then walks off.

“Seriously, I want to cut my tongue licking his abs,” I overhear Ashley say.

“My God, that man! Watch him go,” Pauline comments.

“Get it together, ladies. Might I suggest a cold shower?” I mention before leaving the gym.

Author Interview:
Did you always know you wanted to be a writer? 
Oh yes. I wrote a lot in high school. Little poems and shorts. I lost a lot of drive after my mother passed away but started writing again about two years ago.

Do you write under a pen name? 
I do. KG are my initials.

Do you work with an outline, or just write? 
I don't like to outline that much. I know what I want to write, the story is already in my head, but I love to go with the flow of the story as the characters tell it to me and everything really unfolds.

Your thoughts on receiving book reviews - the good and the bad - 
I do love book reviews. A review could make or break a novel. I don't like when a reviewer just repeats the story and often gives away spoilers. That's not what a review is supposed to be. Tell me what you liked and didn't like. I don't expect everyone to like my book, but I'm always evolving my writing and looking to improve.

What is one book you wish you had written? 
The Hunger Games series. I love all three books.

How did you bring life to your characters? 
I had a dream where I was the main character. Julie is so vibrant. She's strong in so many different ways. She just stuck with me.

What made you want to write erotica?
I used to sneak and read my mother's Harlequin novels as a teenager. I read those more than I read books geared for people my age. My first taste of writing was taking one of those novels and rewriting a few scenes I had a different idea on. I don't shy away from sex. It's a part of life.

What is your favorite thing about being an Indie writer? 
Having more freedom to do things my way. I don't answer to a big company that tells me to change my writing style. I work with a company who supports and celebrates me, encourages my way of writing. I also get to interact more with readers on Facebook and Twitter.

For those who might consider reading your book, what would you tell them to expect? 
Expect a lot of heat between Julie and Scott and a few twists along the way.

Do you have any advice for aspiring writers? 
Never give up writing. Write every day, if you can. If this is something you are passionate about, don't let anyone deter you from what you want to do.


Connect with K.G. Stutts:
Facebook  Twitter  Website  Blog

1 comment: