Friday, February 20, 2015

Spotlight: The Professor by Fallen Kittie

Synopsis:
Fallen contends with the tumultuous task of completing her first thesis, enjoying the entrails of her latest existential crisis. Whenever she finds a spare moment, she also finds her mind wanders to an old professor who proved to leave a lasting impression. His smile, the steady strength of his hands, his broad shoulders; every word, every erotic evocation: every missed opportunity. Back then, she held off. Both were bound by rank and ethics. Her hands were tied. She figured his were folded: Fallen never thought the attraction was mutual. So when the semester ends, she never looks back. Better to take an A than potential rejection. But she never forgets the professor. It was bad enough when he taught her: how her eyes would linger, how his eyes would creep into her thoughts. Now, he haunts her memories as much as her fantasies and she can’t help wondering what could’ve been.

Excerpt:
“Lesson one being it’s in incredibly bad taste to fuck former students.”

Leaning back, I uncrossed my legs and inched aside the hem of my skirt, “I told you I don’t believe in senses.” Slowly, my skirt bunched up against the sheen of my stockings.

“You want to do this here?” he murmured, “Now?”

I didn’t answer. I didn’t know if some small part of me was morally conscious, worrying about saying the wrong thing or wondering if this was really the wrong place and time. I didn’t know if I just lost my voice. The only thing I knew was my body, its heat and the preoccupation with my legs as I eased my panties down their valleys.

Retrieving them from around my ankles familiarized my fingers and the flick of my wrist as I tossed them on his desk. For them, his eyes left mine to narrow in focus.

Author Interview:
What makes your book so different from all the books out there?
The writing style; I try to incorporate the idea of intimacy within existential themes. In The Professor, I spoke to this through the lens of an anxious albeit monotonous grad school student.

What made you want to write erotica?
I've always been fascinated with sex. Ever since I was a kid, I've envied what I understood was romance. I discovered distinctions of desire as I've grown.

Is there any particular author or book that influenced you in any way either growing up or as an adult?
Anaïs Nin has always been my favorite author. To date, her erotica gets me more than other, whether it's contemporary or classic.

Your thoughts on receiving book reviews - the good and the bad - 
I try taking feedback with a grain of salt. My insecurities and anxiety make it difficult to discern truth from malice so I tend to be wary anyways. I'm grateful to have received constructive and courteous criticism thus far.

What was the best writing advice that someone has ever given to you?
It's not quantity but quality; and that applies to many other things beyond writing. I see a few authors lording their bestseller status or the amount of publications to their name as if that exempts them from critique or contention. That's not who I want to be. Sure, it would be awesome if my books made the bestseller list but that isn't some exclusive or ultimate goal. How much you make or sell reflects sales, not merit.""

What was the process with getting the cover for your book? How do you like it?
I use all my own photos for my covers. It saves me time and headache regarding copyrights and paying out royalties for image stock. I model, I have the privilege of working with amazing photographers (notably, IamNOTthere) who happen to be dear friends, and I have little qualms about it.

Do you have a day job as well?
It's not a 'job' per se, but I'm a full-time grad student. It's not that hard to find a balance between writing and research. The only challenge is churning out those pointless essays--you know the ones, those assignments that you just have to do to pacify your professors and make the grade but do nada for you in the long run? Think back to when you learned fractions or algebra back in high school. I haven't used those either.

How do you market your work? What avenues have you found to work best for erotica?
I have a Facebook, Twitter, and website for my writing. I'm also very lucky to have a great publisher, Excessica for my books. I can't tell you which avenue works best since they all seem to be doing relatively well.

Have you ever written anything else?
I've written lots of things. I just haven't published most of it but plan to once I can edit. Check out more on my website!

Do you have any advice for aspiring writers?
Don't give up and don't focus on editing in the middle of writing. Grammar and punctuation can be priorities when it comes time to tweak and revise. Just focus on getting the words out the first time around.

About Fallen Kittie:
Fallen Kittie is a freelance writer and sociologist currently studying existentialism and supernatural folklore. Her characters are avenues in which she collates her own realities and musings upon sexuality within fiction. Midway into her academic career, she discovered writing was her escape from the miscellaneous monotonies of her syllabi. As she continues writing, she cultivates a preference for erotica over the emptiness of the empirical.


Connect with Fallen Kittie:
Linkedin ♥ Twitter ♥ Facebook ♥ Goodreads ♥ Website 

No comments:

Post a Comment